Saturday, April 28, 2012

Hernani Beaches and Wonders : Beauty in Mediocrity ( Memoirs of an Hernaninhon)

Dear Hernani,
Words are not sufficient to describe the separation anxiety of a child who was set asunder from your arms years ago. The child who use to play in your pristine and lovely beaches who, despite the corals that lies in its sea beds, you never forget that your children has this needs of playing incessantly at your beaches so you had set aside pools where families, friends and group of excursionists can still bathe in your turquoise waters. Your corals are home to sea shells and fishes that serves as food in your children's table, your serenity has been a silent witness to the dreams of a child whispered in the air.
Tonog Beach in Canciledes
At times when I was tired, you had never failed to beckon me in your loving arms. Your natural walls along Tonog Cove never failed to listen and like a mother telling me she heard what I said, you simply echo the words I shouted at you, and thats what your name stand for; echoing sound. Tonog that for Canciledes people could simply mean sound, but Tonog beach is not just like that. Tonog beach is where most of the food from our table came from. Tonog beach is a temporary place for solitude for me and my mom, who had been sharing life's troubles in my early years. How I miss those days I simply lie in youre course white sand, when I was young albeit some share of troubles yet carefree; those days of my childhood was at its best because of you. As I'm writing this memoir of you, my tears are rushing down because of the longing inside to see you again. When I was down, I simply shout at your cliffs, and my voice resonated through it with clear audacity, and as a child I knew you were listening.
Nagaja
This young lakwatsero's knees couldn't have been strengthened without Nagaja, which is one of the upstream barangays in Hernani. Its no wonder why most of the local's call you Bulan, and in fact I would love to call you that way. Bulan, which means moon, is indeed perfect to call you dearly. Those people that loves you call you by this name. I call Nagaja Bulan not because its less complicated to say it, but it simply means light in my darkest hour.When I was a child I often wish reaching the moon is as easy as reaching Bulan, because if so, I'd go there a thousand times. You're rock formation in Babato simply reminds me that life is not merely composed of a long and winding road, but with its obstacles that could topple you down if you're not strong, and when you passed through those obstacles, you will see that there's more beauty in this world. Thanks Babato for the rock formations, I owe you the tenacity and determination in me.
Cascading Waterfals in Canhugas Beach
Like most of your children I had enjoyed those countless treks from Babato to Canhugas. Like I was not contented with the tiring baktas (trek) from the feeder road connecting Canciledes and Nagaja,it had always been a pleasure to trek along the boundaries of Babato and Canhugas Beaches. Although it is not recommended doing it on hightide, this stubborn child enjoyed the trek more when its almost high tide. I always argue with my mom then that the trek is best done during these times so when I get tired of walking at least I could swim. I still feel the incantation over the islet that signals that the trek is drawing near Makaandog Bridge. Yes the pool near this place is my favourite. And the mangrooves behind it, is a clear synergy of natural resources that is devoid of rubbish yet fragile to over consumption.
Makandog Bridge
Like many of your youngsters, I had always been bedazzled by your magical stories about the mystical hero of Nagaja. Makandog bridge is said to be one testimony of his mystical existence. As a youngster who is endoctrined of science rules of empirical, testable, demonstrable protocol,I had always doubted his existence, yet in my heart I was hoping those stories were true. The mysticism that was Makandog Bridge, its passivity and endurance that mirrored the character of all Hernaninhons,these were the Hernaninhon traits that has always been embedded in my system, and the trek from Bato Bato to Canhugas is resonance of how us Hernaninhons live this journey called life. After all those rise and fall from steepy terrain, Canhugas, just like life is indeed a worthwhile journey.

Just like life with its ups and downs, a pool in Canhugas called Hika Hika is the highlight of the trek to Canhugas. Hika Hika which means asthma is synonymous to its name since its water rises up and down caused by the incessant waves that flows down under. Just like Hika Hika Pool, Hernaninhons know that life is full of ups and downs, yet it is full of blissful experiences. How I love playing in this pool, notwithstanding the danger that a careless jump could entail. Yes, this child learned the meaning of adventure because of you, yet, despite this adventures I am proud to say that your beauty astounded from them all;priceless, beautifully dangerous.
Hika Hika Pool in Canhugas

Basyao Beach in Poblacion
And how will I forget my high school life colored by Basyao Beach? As a teen faced by life's challenges and family issues, it is in your shores that I learned the true meaning of comfort zone. Like the families that had adopted me during those times when I was in need and homeless, you took care of me and became my home that was next to none.I always cherished those new year celebrations with my Auntie Terrie's family held at one of your caves. Those memories were priceless. Thank you so much Basyao, you were the first to teach me that while blood is thicker than water, there are angels in this world that looks after you even in the absence of hope. Just like my Auntie Terry's home, you treated me as your child that can come home anytime. The cliffs in your northern boundary is like a fortress that watch over you, unfazed by the giant pacific waves, trying to keep the quietude that is you.Yes I would say that your beauty is so simple yet my countless encounters with you was rather a total bliss. Yes Basyao beach you are simply amazing, and the vagabond in me had always been haunted by my insatiable desire to come back home. When will I see you again?
Cacatmonan Mountain
My chemistry class introduced me to Cacatmonan Mountain range, where my friend climbed just to get a sample of coal from their coal miners. Though I had never been to this place at all, I had always been amazed by the beauty of its people. The coal miners who had been a silent player to Hernani's thriving economy, their next to spartan way of life is a manifestation of all Hernaninhon's endurance. For Cacatmonan folks, the coal mine and its vast land is their life and the home of their dreams and aspirations. True indeed for Cacatmonan folks, Ain't no mountain higher.
Bura beach in Batang
You were like an elusive dream to me Bura Beach in Batang, this wanderlust had been longing to see you even during my younger years,when my feet and untiring endurance was the only investment I need just to see you, but the opportunities are so rare that I found it impossible to be with you. Someday I will have the opportunity to see you and it would be better to save the best experience somehow. For now I will just cherish the feeling of being enchanted over your rough waves that could be a good surfing site. Your azure to blue jade waters is a magnet to me and the days are drawing near that I could be next to you.
Panay Beach In Garawon
I could say that I was not so amazed by your beauty back then Panay Beach. I always had this feeling that aside from the islet amidst your coral reefs that set asunder to sea waters at low tide , your beauty in itself looks mediocre to me, but there was something in you that my people in Hernani are so dearly enchanted over you. As a kid, I would just be contented to mooch around and play in your shoreline, never entertaining the idea of bathing on your turquoise waters. It was just me, I am not seeking perfection, as a child I consider your fame to Hernaninhon's to be threatening that my austere personality had always been against with. You might not believe me Panay, but the lakwatsero in me had been wanting to pitch in a tent in one of the nicest spot I've seen in your shoreline, someday I'm still hoping to see you in its perfect shape, I am still hoping that one day I could feel the same enchantment of my fellow Hernaninhons who had been under your spell.

As a child who had limited access to some parts of his house, you had kept some of your natural wonders secret to me and there's more in you I need to discover.
Magsisigin Island in Barangay San Miguel
Bangon Falls in Baranggay San Isidro

Someday this child will be reunited with his roots, someday I will explore all your magnificent beauty that has enjoyed mediocrity yet remained unexploited, I will climb your mountains and enjoy spelunking in your caves, i will trace your streams and walk on your rock formations, I will tour your mangroves and catch my meal for a day, I will eat your famous Bakintol, Langbay and Biko. I will pitch in my tent in all your shorelines and commune with you even for a short while, and most of all, once again I will be the child seeking temporary solace from his long lost mother.

Thanks Hernani, for building a good character in this child, for molding me to be a better person with the bittersweet experiences I had with you. Thanks for all the happy memories and the endless treks that made this lakwatsero's feet sturdier than the others, thanks for the way of life that you gave me, it made me strive for more, and even if I thank you a gazillion times I think it wouldn't be enough.And most of all thanks for listening to those dreams whispered in the air. Somehow you had been my shining star that guided me through all those journeys in life. Hinigugma ko ikaw Hernani ( I love you Hernani )

Your child,

Ariel Bagarino Rodriguez aka iamstyxxss

Credits : thank you Winston Candido, Wilma Candido, Carlo Yabora, Richard Busa and Hernani LGU for the Pictures.


For more info Contact Hernani LGU
Contact number :0555740015





7 comments:

  1. good content of your blog,pleased to meet with you, I will be happy to join in your blog, if you join my blog, thank you.




    Steven


    www.seosafety.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. i was touched with your message kuya and it made me think to have a vacation again in our hometown HERNANI. u still remember that new year celebration in basiao? that was a long time ago...hehehe...

    keep it up kuya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oo naman Glyn.. syempre naalala ko yun.. kasama ko kasi pamilya ko dun.... kayo.... i miss you all..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evidently, the vast array of modern technology is further splendid to my incredulous vision. This leading-edge expertise nowadays, is really a grand aid to anyone of us. we can do connect and impart our thoughts to our family, relatives, friends and even strangers who are far-off from us. What a cheer for us for this imposing kind of access! These entirely settings were just once fantasies by pour old folks before. How just fortunate really today is.
    Through your amazing blog, Ariel, you had reached us and being touched by your indicative stories which were full of reminiscence. Knowing how you remembered our family, for us, is really a great thing. Yes, indeed! Wherever and whatever you are currently, we are jubilantly proud of you. You are an absolutely blissful trekker, for in your journey you found certainly your aspiration in life that anyone could have ever dreamed of. I believe your exploration has no boundary and it has had not yet come to peak definitely, right? If only seashores of Hernani could talk and able jot down their words expressively, surely, they would have extended their comments here in your blog, the ways how you uplifted their spirits, how you made them stand proudly that they were once part of your innocent juvenile occurrence in our magnificent eastern part of Samar. The hidden and mysterious splendor of spots had been merely known upon the revelation by a vagabond adventurer like you.. Candidly, Hernaninhon really appreciated you much, wondering, where were your caption of words came from? They seemed like as their life-giving water for the nature's witnesses of arts of beauty. They bloomed for God's glorification that out of unusual dedication for His creation, the fortress had been disclosed over feeling of truth the joy of adoration. Yes, Hernaninhon were amazed for the gift of language that gushed effusively in your system as if waterfalls over your imaginative shadows and flamboyant rainbow that far, sought for sensible core of hearts that would have understood how the ways your footsteps moseyed to sketch remarkably every inch of your youthful age life. You are marvelously such a poetic type. You even certainly conveyed your readers to locations where in their mind they found magnificently, and led them an insatiable desire for an opportunity to pay these places a visit someday. once upon a time, it was somehow an honor for us, that an impressive poetic explorer with a sensible heart of views had resided in our municipality where he had been enchanted. We're looking forward, someday he could once more lay his eyes and bathe his feelings with the charm of fascinating natures that would reasonably draw him back to the past..where his history had begun. Folks here would always say.."Welcome to Hernani!" from: Agnes Adina-Manigos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for that moving comment Duday.. certainly your one piece of a child endowed with a poetic gift too. I remember those days when you love writing novels and everyday we get excited with how the story would end.. and true enough you get me too excited.. kasi di ko natapos.. hahaha.. yan may utang ka sakin.. pagpunta ko diyan ipabasa mo sakin yung ending... I mean sis, I can see a writer in you.. just go and follow that calling, no matter how elusive it may seem.

    ReplyDelete